Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dinner tonight

Dinner tonight.
Only picture I took because I barely thought about pictures because I just wanted to eat.
Spinach, Garlic, and Onion stuffed Pork Tenderloin.
(this picture was taken with my new Blackberry Torch phone camera! oooo I love that phone. Wish they'd pay me to say that!)


Dinner tonight was on accident and was the most wonderful pork tenderloin I've ever had (although I haven't had that many).

It is not my normal dinner to make pork tenderloin (or pork of any type unless its bacon or turkey bacon, and yes I know that's not pork). I just haven't had it much and my only experiences cooking it were pork chops so far, or rump roast which didn't turn out so great.

This week I set out to make healthy affordable dinners for 3 nights. When I looking through my weight watchers cookbooks, I found a beef stroganoff recipe that I made (quite decent, but nothing to write home about), and a 1 lb. pork tenderloin teriyaki/ginger recipe. I figured day 3 we'd eat leftovers, or Taco Bell across the street. (don't judge, it can be healthy, but its definitely cheap)

Well, when I went to the grocery, much to my dismay, I only found pre marinated pork tenderloins or a huge 2+ pound value size portion. Considering the entire 2+ pound package was only about $7, I went with that and figured I'd cut it in half and make something else with the other half.

Well, when we went to make the first night of asian inspired pork, we discovered the pork tenderloin was already in two pieces! Yay, so I knew I could make another meal out of it.

The weight watcher recipe for teriyaki/ginger pork was decent, but again like the Stroganoff, nothing to write home about. Then...........I discovered this recipe while searching for things to do with my remaining pork tonight.

Now, I pride myself these days of having pretty much every spice/sauce/ingredient needed to season/flavor and create a meal as long as you have the basics. Well these two pork recipes are prime examples of that. I had absolutely every ingredient for them besides the pork.

Hence the reason I'm even more excited about pork tenderloin right now...its sooooo CHEAP, and you more than likely have enough spices to flavor it great!

So without further ado, here is the link to the recipe I used....

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/pork-loin-stuffed-with-spinach/Detail.aspx

Only differences are that we only had a 1 pound pork tenderloin, so we made the filling with the prescribed measurements for ease, I added some salt and pepper to the filling and then used about half of it for stuffing the tenderloin. Instead of 2 hours cook time, we did 1 hour: 30 minutes with uncovered, and 30 minutes covered.

It was sooooooooo wonderful, so tender, so juicy, so flavorful, and so cheap!





3 comments:

  1. Oh and...the camera phone picture was in total darkness pretty much so just used the flash from the phone. I mean really? Am I just so behind the times that this seems incredible to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yes you are behind on the times! no kidding! David's new iphone is the same way...so impressed with the phones cameras these days! Looks yummy- we might have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm!!! That looks and sounds so good! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete