Saturday, May 8, 2010

Custom Framing Dilema

For my college graduation, I was given this beautiful, classic print by Benjamin Watts. It is a collage of Baylor landmarks, Pat Neff building being the center. I have had it for a couple of years now and just haven't gotten around to framing it. Now that we have our house I'd like to have it framed. The problem is that it is an odd size and as far as I've found requires custom framing.


So today, I was determined to just go get it done so that we can hang it in the hallway between the bedrooms which has been bare since we moved in. I went to Hobby Lobby, they are having their half of custom framing sale (which happens every other week or so), and I picked out this frame, matte, and silver inner detail as my favorite. It is a brushed silver ornate frame, with a chocolate flat matte.
Our home right now has fairly modern architechure with all brushed silver/chrome accents, and dark wood furniture. I thought that this frame might be a good compromise between the somewhat modern style we have now and whatever future home we may have which I think will be more traditional. I can even envision this is an office we might have in a suburban home. So I want a frame that will stand the test of time.

So, here is my first question:

What do you think about this framing choice? Too traditional? Or should I go with a dark wooden frame and lighter matte?

Then the kicker, and why I didn't buy it today...it is so expensive! Half off, this entire set was a little over $200. (The picture with a 3 inch Matte requires a 29X20 frame) Is it worth it? I have never had anything professionally framed. So my second question is:

Do you know of cheaper places than Hobby Lobby to have things framed? Or do I just need to save up and get this?

Thanks for the advice!

Later this weekend I'll be doing a post where I was tagged by Stephanie at anewday-tx.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Custom framing is SO expensive which is why for my bridal portrait I just picked a frame from Hobby Lobby that was the size I wanted and then they cut a custom matte...this is a lot cheaper...and you can get 1/2 off the frame and glass...if you watch for the special.

    I love the frame you selected but am sure you can find a beautiful frame to use instead of getting a custom one cut.

    can't wait to see your "tagged" post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh trust me I looked, but this size is so odd that I had the sales person go all around with me and there is no pre made size that will fit it. grrrrr. And all the ones with glass were too small, even the biggest. So I tried the just open ones, and those weren't close either. Tagged post is coming along slow but sure. Its hard!

    ReplyDelete