Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wedding Dishes

This post is a little later than I wanted to put it up but I thought I would anyway.

I love dishes! I really do, and I like mixing it up and using different sets and different glasses all the time. Therefore I have already used my china and crystal a couple times as well as our everyday dishes. I am not one to save china for super special occasions. I probably will change my mind when I have kids, but handwashing to place settings is not that bad.

For our china, we picked out the Ralph Lauren Hewitt Platinum collection and for crystal we chose Waterford Marquis Allegra Platinum. The china is white with a hammered platinum band around the edge. It is classic yet a little modern and was the first thing for our registry that we unequivocally agreed on. The crystal also mixes classic with modern by having the beautiful waterford signature cut crystal in the stem, but then has a sleek to part (don't know what you call that technically) with a platinum rim at the top to match the dishes.
This is the first meal Jonathan and I ate with our china on. It was pepper steak, courtesy of the huge boxes full of steaks my mom sent us, and my homemade green bean casserole (A favorite for us both).



My green bean casserole recipe is probably standard but I prefer it over any other I've ever had. The thing I may do differently than your average one is I DON'T follow the recipe on the french fried onion can that adds milk and seasoning, and mixed onions in with the casserole before baking. Here's what I do:

Ingredients:
2 regular size cans french cut green beans (don't get low sodium or else you will just be adding salt to yours later and its never enough)
1 can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
1 can French's French Fried Onions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain the green beans and put them and the cream of mushroom soup into a pyrex dish. Mix it all together. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. At 25 minutes, open the oven and sprinkle the french fried onions on top. Bake for another 5 minutes or until the onions are brown.

Enjoy!


Our next set of dishes is our everyday. We chose the latest design from Fiesta which is the square dishes. We picked out four colors to start, although I'd like to have all the colors eventually. :) To start we got the ivory, peacock blue, emerald green, and sunflower yellow. For most of the serving pieces we chose ivory so that we could always use it no matter what color we were setting out.

One of the meals I attempted to cook was a pork loin recipe from my coworkers in Dallas. Supposed to be done in a crockpot, but we couldn't find ours so I did it in the oven. Big mistake...and it took like 3 hours to cook from the time I got home from work. When I do it again with a crockpot I'll put the recipe on here. I won't now because it didn't turn out just wonderfully in texture although the flavor was awesome.




I also have Christmas dishes now, but I'll save that post for Christmas decor ones soon to come. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! Sorry about the pork :) I'm glad it still tasted good even though it wasn't ideal. Let me know if you like it more with the crock pot - it seriously is one of my favorite things I make, so I have a feeling it will be much better. I have another recipe I need to send you - one of my other favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I'm sure it is a favorite because the sauce/gravy it makes is FABULOUS! I couldn't get enough of it. But we finally have our crockpot so I'll try again with that. it was just tough and chewy as opposed to falling apart. I'll let you know how round 2 goes. :)

    ReplyDelete